So, I did not have a wonderful time crocheting this baby afghan, but it was a work of love. Baby Jack is the first grandson of some dear friends of mine. The grandparents have three sons of their own and a cute little granddaughter who is almost four years old. For the granddaughter, Lily, who was born near Christmas, I had made a round ripple afghan that resembled a poinsettia. So, to continue with the theme, I chose a round ripple for baby Jack.
The pattern I used – with some variations of my own design – is no longer available via a regular website. See more about this below. However, there are many round ripple patterns online and I’ve used others with equal success. Now, about the color choices. I used Caron Simply Soft in the colors that were chosen by the mom. While I would not have chosen this color combination, I’m pleased with the results. Since gauge is not of great consequence when making a baby afghan, using a true worsted weight yarn would work well here. And, with a fingering weight yarn, you just add more rows to make the afghan the size you prefer.
Since I , like many crocheters, use a pattern as a guideline – sometimes just a suggestion – to create the finished project. I thought the afghan looked a bit feminine for a baby boy, so I played around with some ideas to make the afghan look more boyish. I think the last few rows I created did the job. With the detail in the picture, I believe you can see how I just added a spike stitch to create a bit of contrast and visual interest that felt more masculine to me, finishing off with a simple row of single crochet rather than any other sort of edging. I also added a simplified picot (single crochet, chain one, single crochet in base of first single crochet) to make the points more exact – also a masculine touch.
Having two deadlines to meet – carpal tunnel surgery in a week and grandparents heading to Texas to see the grandson for the first time – I didn’t have the luxury of time to do more exploration of stitches to change up the design even more. But, as I said, I’m pleased with the results. The idea was to create something special and made with love for a very special baby boy. I think this is it!
Note: The web address from which I printed off this pattern is this:
This does not appear to be an active link. It may be available on the Wayback Archive. if you find an active link for the pattern, please let me know!