This yarn was in the goodie bag at the St. Louis Cardinals’ Stitch n Pitch on August 6, 2007. I must admit that I had never really worked successfully with this type ‘yarn’ before. It’s hard to call this stuff yarn. It’s actually a ribbon that is much more flexible than any you’ll find in the fabric store – and nicely patterned on both sides, making it perfect for crochet.
Here’s the scarf and scrunchie I made from the two balls of this stuff. You can see from the picture above that there is very little of the yarn left. This was a pleasure to work with and to make. The pattern is one I found in an old afghan book specifically for bulky yarn and adapted to this create this design. This scarf is worked across its width – and sadly, I don’t remember how many chains I started with – and I have a heck of a time counting them after I’ve crocheted them. LOL Here’s the main stitch pattern so you can make your own:
I used a K hook.
ch X (I think I used 21)
Sc into 2nd ch from hook, ch 2, and sc in the same stitch as first sc, ch 1, skip two chains, *sc, ch 2, sc into next ch, ch1, skip 2 chains*. Repeat across, ch 1, turn.
Sc into 2nd ch from hook, ch 2, sc in same stitch, ch 1, skip 2 chains, *sc, ch 2, sc into next ch, ch 1, skip 2 ch*.
It’s that easy! With bulky acrylic yarn, this stitch pattern actually creates a 3-D sort of ripple. Not a ripple pattern stitch – but an actual raised ridge that is very attractive. When I get farther along with the afghan, I’ll post a picture of it to attempt to show what I’m talking about.